Dr. Richard Urbanek
Board-Certified Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
Dr. Urbanek was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio. He obtained an undergraduate degree (BS), dental school training (DDS), and a four-year residency in oral and maxillofacial surgery (MS) from The Ohio State University located in Columbus, Ohio. During the freshmen year of his undergraduate degree, he received the freshman scholar award, and in dental school won the senior award for outstanding achievement in anesthesiology. Dr. Urbanek trained under Dr. Larry Peterson during his surgery residency, who was one of the great leaders in the specialty at the time.
During a career in the Air Force, Dr. Urbanek was Chief of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the United States Air Force Academy and Sheppard Air Force Base. He placed the first titanium dental implant at the Air Force Academy in 1994. While still in the Air Force, in 1999 he began moonlighting in Wichita Falls. His services and skills grew immensely. In 2005, he opened his own private practice with emphasis on dental implants.
In the last 25+ years, Dr. Urbanek has placed over 6,000 dental implants. Oral Surgery has improved dramatically over this time. Today’s implant procedures are much more successful, more predictable, require fewer surgical steps, and are less traumatic.
Currently, Dr. Urbanek belongs to the following organizations:
- Diplomate of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Member of the Texas Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Staff member of a local hospital, URHCS
- Fellow, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (AAOMS)
- Member, Texas Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (TSOMS)
- Board Certified, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (ABOMS)
- Member, American Dental Association (ADA), Texas Dental Association (TDA)
- Two time president, 13th District Dental Society (TDA)
Dr. Urbanek and his wife and college sweetheart, Terri, live part of the time in Wichita Falls and part of the time in Southlake with their two dogs. They have one son, Russ, who is married to Chevon, and two grandchildren, Savannah and Skylar.
When he’s not practicing dentistry, Dr. Urbanek enjoys travel and outdoor activities. He’s involved with City Hope Church, Woman’s Faith Refuge, Faith Mission, the Pregnancy Help Center, Wichita Falls Area Food Bank, and Hospice of Wichita Falls.