What is Bone Grafting?
Bone grafting is an oral surgery procedure that replaces lost bone in the jaw. Bone loss can happen due to missing teeth, gum disease, facial trauma or injury, or from development defects.
To replace the missing teeth, it’s essential for restorative and cosmetic dentistry procedures to have a strong foundation, especially with dental implants. There are a few different material combinations to choose from to rebuild the jaw bone. Although the norm on the market is processed human bone, Dr. Urbanek prefers to use Bovine collagen membranes (cow collagen) and synthetic bone crystals (tricalcium phosphate or TCP) to stimulate bone formation.
Dr. Urbanek will determine if it’s better to give the bone graft at the same time as implant surgery or prior to implant surgery. To determine which option is best for you, you will need to have a consultation with Dr. Urbanek.
If you decide to get a bone graft to help replenish missing bone, you’re making a wise decision. Bone grafting can offer the following benefits:
If you need a bone graft, there are really no downsides to getting one. With Dr. Urbanek’s years of experience and additional training, help make your procedure as comfortable and seamless as possible.
Who’s a Good Candidate?
Not everyone requires a bone graft to get dental implants or other dental restorations. We recommend bone grafts for patients with:
- Missing Teeth – After losing your teeth, the jaw bone begins to disappear because it no longer has anything to hold into place.
- Trauma – Serious injury to the face or jaw can result in bone loss
- Tumor or Cyst Removal – During the removal of abnormal growth, you may have lost some bone in the process. A bone graft can restore the missing bone.
- Gum Disease – When periodontal disease progresses, the infection can begin deteriorating the jawbone. A bone graft in addition to periodontal treatment can help restore your mouth to health.
- Sagging/Aging Appearance – One of the side effects of bone loss is facial structure deterioration. When this occurs, it can cause your facial features to sag, increase the visibility of wrinkles and lines, and even cause the skin to sag. With a bone graft, we can help restore your facial structure.
If you suffer from any of the problems listed above, you can likely benefit from a bone graft. Please contact our dental office today to find out if bone grafting in Southlake, TX is right for you. Schedule a consultation by calling (817) 587-4414.